Sunday 10 June 2012

The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes

This is the first time that I have tried this ‘5 star’ author. (Julian Barnes also wrote Flaubert’s Parrot.)

On finishing the last page I immediately turned to the front of the book and started reading it again. It’s one of those stories that that left me wondering whether I ‘got’ it all. Tony, the narrator, is still speaking to me.  I won’t say anything about the plot as that would spoil it for you. I will say that Tony has the same difficulty we all have, we remember things in a very selective way. Memory, Time and Insight were just three of the many big topics we (Tony and me) got to wrestle with.  I have not come across anyone else to talk to about this thought provoking book, so please read it quickly so that we can compare notes.

PS. The Sense of an Ending won last year’s Man Booker Prize...Posted by Moxie

Check our library catalogue and reserve online: 
The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes,  2011

No comments:

Post a Comment