Friday 30 January 2015

How We Learn and Fluent Forever

I read two very interesting books recently. One was How we learn: the surprising truth about when, where, and why it happens, by Benedict Carey. It was a fascinating investigation into how our brain absorbs and retains information. I had wanted to read it because I would like to have a go at language learning in a way that enables me to retain what I learn. One of the techniques described in the book was spaced repetition, and the research that has gone on to find the ideal spacing between periods of
self-testing.



The very next book I read was Fluent forever : how to learn any language fast and never forget it, by Gabriel Wyner. To my delight I found that the language learning method he promotes is spaced repetition. He introduces the reader to a free software programme that does the spacing for you. With the instruction in the book and videos on his website, he makes the whole language learning experience manageable and fun.

Posted by Jessie

Catalogue link: How we learn

Catalogue link: Fluent forever



No comments:

Post a Comment